Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Building an Effective Managed Care Pull-Through Organization: Programs and Processes to Optimize Pull-Through"
In today's payer-driven market, managed care formulary access is vital to the success of a new pharmaceutical product. But achieving access isn't an end unto itself. In additiona to formulary placement, long-term commercial success for a new brand depends on effective pull-through programs and processes to increase market share after the contract is signed.
Best Practices, LLC undertook this research to identify quantitative benchmarks and qualitative insights that will help sales and brand leaders understand how to build an effective pull-through program and leverage Managed Care contracts to generate pharmaceutical product sales.
- Programs that drive pull-through
- Effective topics for pull-through education
- Preferred channels for customer education
- KOL interaction impacts pull-through effectiveness
- Pull-through leadership
- Changing resource levels for pull-through
- Types of pull-through programs used
- Effectiveness of types of pull-through programs
- Top three therapeutic intervention tactics for convincing payers to switch to your product
- Top three patient adherence/persistency programs for increasing pull-through
- Customer groups targeted by pull-through programs
- Three most effective provider educational topics for increasing pull-through
- Three most effective patient educational topics for increasing pull-through
- Effectiveness of different channels/media for providing education to customers
- Rating of KOL interaction tactics for pull-through effectiveness
- Pull-through activities and tactics involving the use of tools and templates
- Effectiveness of tools and templates used to support specific pull-through activities and tactics
- Functions that play leadership role for specific pull-through activities
- Location of FTEs involved in pull-through activities
- Estimated current and future change in resource level for pull-through activities and programs
SAMPLE KEY FINDING
1. Organizational Effectiveness Findings
- Strategic Contracting Processes: Effective pull-through begins with good contracting processes. Many surveyed companies reported that securing adequate cooperation from Managed Care plans after a formulary win can be a giant hurdle. Savvy pharma leaders use contract negotiations to spell out their pull-through requirements for plans. For example, they specify how many provider update letters will be sent and set out a timetable for delivery.
- Leadership: Managed Care account management is the group that most often leads pull-through activities in developing messaging, strategy and customer-access guidelines for the field. Sales reps most often lead in identifying physicians for pull-through targeting.
The study involved a two-pronged approach. Best Practices, LLC researchers used a survey instrument to collect pull-through program data from 33 managers and executives representing managed care, field sales, marketing, sales operations and executive leadership at 24 participating companies in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries. In addition, Best Practices analysts conducted deep-dive interviews with selected survey participants to uncover successful tactics and best practices used to achieve formulary pull-through.