Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Best Practices and the Role of Medical Affairs in Oncology Launch Excellence”
Regulatory reforms in the healthcare industry have transformed the role of the Medical Affairs function. It has evolved beyond its traditional support role into a more prominent oncology launch role that extends from the pre-launch phase to well beyond market entry.
As an interface between biopharmaceutical companies and external stakeholders, the Medical Affairs group plays a critical role in the successful launch of oncology products. Best Practices, LLC conducted this study to provide benchmarks on how Medical Affairs' leaders with oncology companies approach launch activities around thought leaders, MSLs, and launch investment. The study provides best practices and winning strategies in oncology launch excellence from Medical Affairs leaders at leading biopharmaceutical companies.
· Medical Affairs' Role in Launch Activities
· Thought Leader Tiering
· Thought Leader Targeting and MSL Coverage
· Launch Investment
· Medical Affairs Investment Allocation
SAMPLE KEY METRICS
· Timing of Strategies Used for Thought Leader (TL) Tiering
· Number of Thought Leaders Targeted During Pre-Launch and Post-Launch
· Number of Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) Employed During Pre-Launch and Post-Launch
· Number of TLs Targeted Per MSLs Employed During Pre-Launch and Post-Launch
· Total Launch Investment - Pre-Launch and Post-Launch
· Total Medical Affairs Launch Investment - Pre-Launch and Post-Launch
· Number of Medical Affairs Launch FTEs per Product - Pre-Launch and Post-Launch
· Percentage of Total Medical Affairs Launch Investment Allocated to Different Medical Affairs Activities
SAMPLE KEY FINDING
· Medical Affairs’ Role in Launch Activities: Medical Affairs is heavily involved in four launch activities within participating organizations: Scientific Publication, Continuing Medical Education, Real World Data Generation & Analysis, MSL activities.
Ø Medical Affairs leads TL Activities and plays a key role between companies and decision makers during launch process. This requires companies to create strong MSL teams, acquire the right talent and provide effective training.
Ø Medical Affairs also plays a critical role in internal education and guiding commercial strategies regarding products. This provides Medical Affairs leaders with the opportunity to convey the needs of key decision makers, thus companies to improve their products.
Best Practices, LLC engaged 11 executives from leading life sciences companies. The study analyzes companies that focus on oncology therapies.