Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Innovative Payer Market Research: Mapping the Payer Ecosystem and Tools for Understanding Payer Decision Making"
The payer sector - both private and public - has become critical to the success of the biopharmaceutical industry. A large percentage of pharma's top line revenues flow from payers. As the influence of payers continues to increase it has become important for organizations to understand not only the different payer segments but also what drives payer decision-making.
Best Practices, LLC conducted this research to help companies identify what market research approaches are most effective and innovative for understanding payer needs and decision-making. This study also examines what research techniques work best during all product lifecycle stages to ensure access for therapies through national, regional and government payers and through Accountable Care Organizations and Integrated Health Delivery Networks.
SAMPLE KEY METRICS
- Study Overview
- Key Findings & Trends
- Mapping the Rapidly Evolving Payer Ecosystem
- Effective Tools and Technologies to Understand Payer Decision-Making
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
- Managed markets segments that have been researched and analyzed in the past year
- Effectiveness rating for specific market research approaches for understanding payer thinking
- Market research approaches used to understand decision-making for four types of payer groups
- When in the product lifecycle payer market research groups start evaluating payers' thinking on a therapeutic area
- Percentage of payer research projects conducted that were either primary or secondary
Payer Landscape Research Is Well Used and Highly Valued:
Regional Payers Are Increasingly Important Focus for Market Research:
- Up to 86% use payer landscape research tactics to understand payer decision making
- Value-proposition testing with payers is the most heavily used and most effective tactic
- Mock P&T committees are used to explore parameters that could change payer thinking
- Although many pay more attention to national payers, they are beginning to include regionalized approach
- Three-quarters of respondents examine how regional payers evaluate products in a therapeutic area.
- Regional focus deepens ACO knowledge; opens opportunities with regional payers
- Almost 80% conduct value proposition testing for regional payers.
The research employed a data gathering approach that reaps quantitative & qualitative data from 38 payer research leaders. More than half of the participants represent pharma or biotech companies, and another quarter come from medical device companies. Five selected participants were interviewed to add qualitative depth to the study.