Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from “Marketer Career Path Excellence Benchmarks: Nurturing Core Marketing Skills & Competencies and Adopting an Experience-Based Development Approach”
The biopharmaceutical industry has witnessed drastic changes in recent years, causing major shifts in how organizations position their treatments and approach market entry. Therefore, it is critical that biopharmaceutical organizations develop effective training and development programs for their marketers to meet the dynamic business needs of the future.
Best Practices, LLC undertook benchmarking research to identify critical marketer training and development approaches at biopharmaceutical companies. In particular, this study probes key skills, competencies, training curriculum and content, common language, role rotations and must-have tools for forging high-impact marketing professionals.
Marketing, commercial, and training and development leaders can use this study to identify and promote the critical skills and experiences needed among marketing personnel to succeed and grow in key roles.
I. Marketer Training Excellence:
- Core skills and competencies
- Training recipients
- Curriculum sources
- Program funding, management and maturity
II. Ongoing Marketer Development:
- Experience-based approaches
- Role rotations
- Standard tools and common language
- How would you rate the maturity of your current marketer training and development program?
- How important is it to train marketers on listed competency areas?
- How successful has your organization been in using listed sources to build an effective marketing training curriculum?
- What criteria do you use in selecting employees for participation in ongoing (i.e., post-training) marketing development programs?
- What marketer job levels are targeted either for initial training and ongoing development programs?
- In creating a rotation plan, how critical is it to expose marketers to listed business streams, projects and activities to maximize development and forge future leaders?
- How effective are the listed approaches in developing individual marketer capability and enabling career path growth? (Please rank)
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
- Integrate role rotations to promote development: Role rotations are a critical means of ensuring diverse marketing experiences. Nearly half of companies manage rotations strategically: 24% of companies rotate all marketers to promote growth and development, while another 24% target high-potential marketers for rotation. Currently, 29% of companies do not use any form of role rotation.
Best Practices, LLC engaged 22 executives, directors and managers from 18 leading biopharmaceutical companies through a benchmarking survey instrument. More than 50% of research participants serve at the level of director or above.