Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Online Patient Support Excellence: Using Brand Website Services for Ongoing Support"
Patients with chronic conditions often need additional support beyond a prescription. The accessibility of the Internet has provided biopharmaceutical companies with an opportunity to create ongoing patient support tools on their brand websites. Web-based patient-service tools on brand sites provide ongoing support by offering a broad range of patient resources, such as calendars, reminders and expert caregiver info.
Best Practices, LLC conducted this research study to help biopharmaceutical companies incorporate ongoing support activities for patients via brand websites. Additionally, the study also illustrates some of the online tools used to support patients who use injectables, and additional insights from various brand websites and what online tools they use to engage patients (SEO, multilingual options, patient profiles and access and reimbursement aids). Brand leaders can use this study to compare their online patient support tools with the tools other brand websites are using.
- Online Patient Support Area: Ongoing Patient Support Resources
- Patients Tools for Injectables
- Achieving Online Support Leadership: Additional Website Analysis
SAMPLE KEY METRICS
- Brand websites including treatment calendars or reminders
- Brand websites including ongoing communications such as newsletters or updates
- Brand websites providing personalized patient support panel
- Brand websites offering support or information for patient caregivers
- Brand websites providing ongoing support tools by the online support services
- Brand websites include services for non-English speaking patients
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
- Half of the Brand Websites provide diet and exercise advice or encouragement to patients: A healthy diet and exercise not only improve quality of life generally but also produce long-term salutary benefits for the health of patients suffering from chronic musculoskeletal ailments. Fifty percent of the benchmarked website offer diet, nutrition, and exercise patient support information.
- Only few brand website offer support or information for patient caregivers: Only thirty percent of the brand websites offer support or information for patient caregivers. Caregivers can be crucial to the successful treatment of patients with chronic conditions like osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
The benchmark framework probed 10 chronic care product websites to glean online approaches and tools for ongoing patient support. Additionally, online tools and approaches were reviewed for supporting patients who require injection treatments. Benchmark products examined include: Boniva, Cimzia, Enbrel, Forteo, Fosamax, Humira, Reclast, Remicade, Rituxan, and Simponi.