Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Pharmaceutical New Product Planning Excellence: Market Planning and Timing of Activities"
The New Product Planning (NPP) function within the pharmaceutical industry has the challenging task of guiding potential new products through the complicated and costly development process. One of the principal tasks for the NPP team is to oversee key activities that will provide a picture of a new therapy's market potential. It's these activities that executives use to decide whether to continue a new product's development.
Best Practices, LLC undertook this benchmarking study to provide a road map for the timing of key market planning activities for the NPP group. In particular, this study shows when NPP teams - both global and regional - are involved in activities such as draft launch label, competitive assessment, market assessment, target product profile and others. There is also a chapter that provides an overview of the current state of new product planning.
- The State of New Product Planning
- New Product Planning Activities: Key Patterns And Activities
- New Product Planning Activities: Market Planning
- Timing for Transition from NPP to In-line Brand Marketing
- When is Your (global and regional) NPP Team involved with Draft Launch Label
- When is Your (global and regional) NPP Team involved with Life-Cycle Planning
- When is Your (global and regional) NPP Team involved with Epidemiology
- When is Your (global and regional) NPP Team involved with Competitive Assessment
- When is Your (global and regional) NPP Team involved with Market Assessment
- When is Your (global and regional) NPP Team involved with Disease State Assessment
- When is Your (global and regional) NPP Team involved with Target Product Profile
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
- Market Planning Activities Started By Global Teams in Phase I; Regional Teams Start in Phase II: Global teams kick-start market planning ahead of regional teams. More than 67% of companies start 4 out of 7 market planning activities in phase I, while more than 67% of regional teams start 4 out of 7 activities in phase II.
- Draft label creation starts in phase II by 56% of global teams and peaks in phase III, while 86% of regional teams start this activity in phase III.
- More than three-fourths of global teams start life-cycle planning in phase II and phase III, while 71% of regional teams start it in phase III.
For this research project, Best Practices, LLC engaged 19 leaders from 15 leading pharmaceutical, biotech, and life sciences companies.