Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Oncology Market Education: Engaging Key Opinion Leaders"
Educating the marketplace about a new product is part of every new product launch. For oncology products, Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) are among the most important education targets as they can help shape treatment practices. What's not clear is what are the best tactics, timing and activities for engaging and educating thought leaders about new oncology therapies.
Best Practices, LLC conducted this research to identify the best timing for informing KOLS as well as the most effective activities for engaging thought leaders. The study also discusses the identification of KOL segments that align with the new therapy, the role of advisory boards and managing clinical trials to engage thought leaders. Oncology launch leaders can use this study to compare their KOL engagement and education tactics and strategies with those used by industry leaders.
- Developing integrated continuous thought-leader strategies
- Identifying and engaging physicians who shape therapeutic direction, and guidelines
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with Key Opinion Leaders who shape the market to enhance thought leader relationships and value management
- Managing clinical trials to win highly regarded investigators and thought leaders
- Utilizing investigator-initiated studies to engage key investigators in developing the product’s full potential
SAMPLE KEY METRICS
- Development phase to start each activity for educating thought leaders
- Top three most important activities in thought leader education category
- Estimated number of thought leaders planned to target during each phase III pre-launch period for inline and emerging products
- Estimated number of field based medical science liaisons assigned during each year of the phase III pre-launch period to a product in a new therapeutic area
- Development phase to start relationship development with various thought leader segment
- Frequency of face-to-face calls by field based medical specialist or liaisons to grow relationship with thought leaders
- Role of each type of thought leader
- Importance rating of different tactics in building credibility for company when entering a new therapeutic area
- Factors having greatest positive impact in building credibility for company when entering a new therapeutic area
- Important factors leading an investor to choose a company’s study over another study
- Stages during which investigator initiated studies were conducted
SAMPLE KEY FINDING
- Winning and Managing Thought-Leader Relationships: Thought Leaders are cornerstones of success. Thought Leader insights range broadly from starting early to develop critical relationships, seeding Medical Science Liaison (MSL) resources early, committing to the therapeutic area to win influential investigators, employing segmentation to identify and manage top thought leaders, investigators and Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), and managing the coordination of national and regional thought leaders across the value chain throughout development.
The benchmark class includes 34 executives and managers at 26 leading pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device companies. In addition, deep-dive executive interviews were conducted with selected participants to provide qualitative insights and emerging trends.