Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Professional Medical Education Excellence: Benchmarking Program & Educator Impact and Performance Measurement Tactics for the Medical Device and Biopharmaceutical Marketplace"
Physicians and other healthcare professionals rely on Medical Education programs to learn how to safely and effectively use new therapies. While there are many factors that go into an effective Medical Education program, the type of program, the venue and the educator are all critical elements. Likewise, Medical Education leaders need to demonstrate their group is creating value for the organization as a whole to ensure continued funding.
This Best Practices, LLC study presents benchmarks and insights around which program types, venues and educators are most highly valued by physicians. There is also a chapter devoted to how Medical Education leaders are approaching the difficult issue of program performance measurement. In addtion to quantitative data on all these issues, this study contains narratives from education leaders on how they are dealing with some of these challenges. Medical Education leaders can use this study to ensure they are supporting the types of programs that add value to both physicians and the company.
The data in this study are presented in two segments: Medical Device and Pharmaceutical.
SAMPLE KEY METRICS
- Universe of Learning: Key Demographics of Participating Companies
- Program & Educator Impact Ratings: The Programs & Professionals That Best Educate Health Care Providers
- Performance Measurement: Assessing Medical Education Programs to Demonstrate Value
SAMPLE KEY FINDING
- Rate the Types of Professional Education most valued by Physicians
- Rate the Curricular Topics that are most valued by Physicians
- Rate the Effectiveness of Different Types of Professionals who Assume Education Roles with Physicians
- Rate the Sources of Product/Therapy Information that Physicains Value the Most
- Rate the Effectiveness of the Performance Measures/Metrics that you Employ to Show Value
- Curricular Topic Ratings Favor Programs Supporting Improved Outcomes: Patient case studies are the top-rated curricular form across both pharma and devices. Two-thirds of all companies rated patient cases as “highly effective.” From here, curricular ranks vary considerably. Device companies then rate as highest impact Comparative Effectiveness, Safe & Effective Use, Simulations, and Business Practice programs. Pharma prioritizes Disease State Education, Safe & Effective Use, and Comparative Effectiveness programs as highest impact for physicians. The desire – both from HCPs and the payer sector - for improved health outcomes at lowest cost may be behind consistently high rankings for comparative effectiveness and safe & effective use programs. These topics can help drive improved patient outcomes.
Best Practices, LLC engaged 32 Medical Education leaders at 31 companies through a benchmarking survey instrument. In addition, research analysts conducted deep-dive executive interviews with 5 selected respondents to collect qualitative data and insights. Fourteen participants represent the Medical Device Segment and 18 participants represent the Pharma Segment.