Non-members: for a complimentary excerpt featuring this document, please click here.
Telesales, or inside sales, functions most often serve as a venue for effectively managing customer, business and/or employee relationships. Optimizing the experiences of these key stakeholders requires a structured and cohesive telesales function. Key factors addressed in this study aim to help inside sales leaders establish or improve their telesales functions. It includes insights on the span of control for telesales managers, why telephonically linked agents are located centrally or virtually, the optimal call-routing structure for telesales, and best practices in the most common areas of improvements: telesales operations, people selection and management, and performance management.
This study will benefit those managers, directors and vice presidents in charge of inside sales or telesales functions. Executives can conduct their own gap analyses and identify ways they can better structure, operate and manage their telesales functions to leverage and optimize customer relationship management via these metrics and qualitative insights.
- Structure of Telesales Functions
- Resource Management
- Performance Management
- Lessons Learned in Telesales
Due to the variation of target audiences for companies in the benchmark class and the expectation that this factor may influence structure and alignment, two presentation slides contain a segment for companies that serve businesses (B2B) as their customers.
- Total FTEs in Company
- Total FTEs in Telesales Function
- Span of Control for Telesales Managers
- Percentage Targeting Customers, Businesses or Employees
- Percentage with Field & Inside Sales Forces
- Structure - Segmented for B2B Companies
- Alignment: Management - Segmented for B2B Companies
- Alignment: Call-Handling
- Percentage of Agents Hired Outside Organization vs. Transferred Internally
- Telesales Objectives
- Most Used Performance Metrics
- Improvement Areas for Telesales Functions
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
- Place the telesales function under the same management structure as sales to ensure a core focus on revenue generation.
- Hire motivated, driven and persistent telesales agents from outside the organization to ensure a talented and high-performing staff.
- Sales volume, number of calls handled, average handle time, closure rates and agent availability are the most used performance metrics.
Best Practices, LLC conducted surveys with 33 leading companies. The study was completed for a Global Benchmarking Council member at the Executive Membership level.