Non-members: Click here to sign-up for a complimentary tour of
"U.S. Pharmaceutical Sales & Marketing Operations: Staffing and Efficiency Metrics"
In today’s crowded pharmaceutical market, staffing of key sales and marketing support functions is critical to brand success. These support operations include all relevant activities tied to a product at the U.S. brand team level and/or within shared services including: Market Analytics, Business Planning, Training & Development, Contract Management, Market Research, Strategic Pricing, Meeting Planning, Creative (Media) Services, E-Business, Sales Administration, Field Communications and Promotional Services. This study provides pharmaceutical marketing operations managers with insights on the level of staff investments (FTEs and budget) that are being channeled into leading pharmaceutical brands across all support operations in the U.S. market. Resource metrics are provided separately for both primary and specialty care pharmaceuticals to highlight the specific staffing needs of each care area.
Pharmaceutical and biotech managers may utilize this research to benchmark their own efforts against their industry competitors for marketing success.
KEY TOPIC AREAS
• Brand Revenues & Budget
• Overall Staffing Levels and Investment in US Sales and Marketing Support
• Financial Investment for Key Activities at the Brand Level
• Outsourcing Levels
• Staffing Efficiency Measures
All metrics are segmented by primary or specialty care type, including:
• Average Total FTEs for Brands Across Activities
• Range of Total FTEs for Primary Care Brands Across Activities
• FTE Allocations by Brand Size
• Total FTEs Per Brand for:
o Market Analytics
o Business Planning
o Training & Development
o Contract Management
o Market Research
o Strategic Pricing
o Meeting Planning
o Creative Services
o Sales Administration
o Field Communications
o Promotional Services
• % of Brand Budget Allocated to U.S. Sales and Marketing Support Activities
• FTEs Per $100 Million in Sales
• Brand Budget in $US Millions Per Total FTE
• Brand Budget As % of Brand Revenue By Care Type
• Brand Revenue Per Internal FTE in $U.S. Millions By Care Type
• Internal FTEs Per $100 Million in Brand Revenue For Each Care Type
• Brand Budget in $U.S. Millions Per Internal FTE
• Average Internal FTEs For Primary Care Brands By Activity
• Range of Internal FTEs For Primary Care Brands Across Activities
• Average Internal FTEs For Specialty Care Brands By Activity
• Range of Internal FTEs For Specialty Care Brands By Activity
EXAMPLES OF KEY FINDINGS
• Primary care brands on average consume nearly xx% to yy% more FTE investment to staff key sales and marketing support activities than do specialty care brands.
• The specialty care budget-to-revenue ratio typically runs around xx% in the benchmark class compared with the yy% ratio for the average primary care product.
Customized data analysis is available for an additional fee. For more information contact Mark Schoeman (Senior Analyst) at 919-767-9258 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This research originated from a Best Practices, LLC research and consulting project. It was conducted for a pharmaceutical client and was based on surveys with thirteen brand leaders from ten pharmaceutical and biotech organizations and across eight therapeutic areas – with the greatest number in cardiovascular and oncology. Two-thirds of the brand leaders provided observations about their specialty products, while one-third shared insights about their primary care products.