Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from “Benchmarking Field Medical & Field Outcomes and Pricing KOL Engagement Strategies”
With growing demand for scientific and outcomes data in the healthcare industry, it is critical for pharmaceutical companies to develop effective thought leader engagement strategies for their field-based medical and outcomes/pricing group. Consequently, Medical Affairs leaders have turned to their field-based medical and outcomes/pricing teams to effectively serve this critical external stakeholder group.
Best Practices, LLC undertook this benchmarking research study to examine current industry trends and best practices for field-based medical and outcomes/pricing teams in North America, Europe, APAC and Emerging Markets. In particular, this study establishes benchmarks around virtual HCP engagement; field medical team deployment and reporting relationships; and activity levels and product coverage.
1. In-Person vs. Virtual HCP Engagement
2. Structure & Leadership of Field-Based Medical Teams vs. Field-Based Outcomes and Pricing Teams
3. Activity Levels and Product Coverage
- Reporting Relationships
- When do you first deploy field medical teams, when field medical team presence peaks, when field medical presence tapers?
- Do you have a separate field outcomes & pricing group or is it rolled into field medical responsibilities?
- Please estimate the size of medical expert / OL panel with which your high performing field medical staff regularly engage (on a per employee basis)
- On average, how many products both in the market and in the development pipeline are actively supported per field medical employee?
- Do your field medical employees cover products across different therapeutic areas, or within the same therapeutic area?
- Do you file form 2253 for proactive resources used by your MSL team?
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
- Companies Have Established Regular Engagement Levels For Thought Leaders: All the participants have an established weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual MSL thought leader engagement activity level within Europe and APAC regions. North America (81%) and emerging markets (75%) also have an established thought leader engagement activity level.
Best Practices, LLC engaged 17 leaders with direct experience working with field medical and field outcomes and pricing teams from 15 leading bio-pharmaceutical companies through a benchmarking survey instrument. More than half of the benchmark partners serve at the level of director or above.