Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Effective Launch Training Practices for District Sales Managers: Curriculum & Training Volume Metrics"
With so much riding on the success of a new product launch, biopharmaceutical organizations are focusing more attention on preparing and measuring the performance of the District Sales Managers (DMs) who oversee launch-related activities in the field. In order to ensure that District Sales Managers are setting their company up for success, training programs need to strengthen curriculum development as well as collaboration with internal stakeholders.
Best Practices, LLC undertook this benchmarking study to ascertain the most appropriate launch training amount for District Sales Managers. The study also provides benchmarks around the curriculum topics related to new product launches and sales training operations. Additionally, it highlights the key success factors for preparing a District Sales Manager for new product launch.
· District Manager Training
· Sales Training Operations Metrics
· Success Factors
· Extent of launch training received by District Managers
· Types of management-specific launch training provided to DMs
· DM curriculum topics at participating companies
· Average hours of launch training provided per District Manager and per sales representative
· Volume of District Manager launch training
· Percentage of launch training provided by different provider types
· Scope and regions covered by participants’ sales training functions
· Sales training volume
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
· District Managers get Management-Specific Launch Training plus the Same Launch Training as Sales Reps: A majority of participants (58%) said their District Managers (DMs) get the same launch training as sales reps as well as additional launch training that is management-specific. Most of the management-specific training is oriented to coaching (train the trainer).
· Product Information, Pull-Through Skills, Disease State Awareness and Targeted Patient Population are Highest Value Curriculum Topics for District Managers: Product information was the training topic that drew the highest percentage (42%) of “very high value” ratings by participants. Veteran sales leaders noted in interviews that managers must know enough about a new product to provide meaningful coaching to their field force. Pull-through skills, disease state awareness and targeted patient population were all rated as “very high value” by 37% of participants.
Best Practices, LLC engaged 20 sales leaders from 20 leading pharmaceutical and biotech companies through a benchmarking survey. Executive interviews with 4 participants were conducted to gather detailed information pertinent to this study.