Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from “Growing Biopharma Digital Marketing Impact: Digitizing Launch & Developing Talent”
Digital Marketing has transformed the speed with which patients, physicians, payers and other customer groups can be engaged during a new product launch. This instant access can rapidly enhance a launch trajectory and enable biopharmaceutical companies to more quickly maximize the value of new products.
Consequently, organizations are increasingly incorporating digital tactics into their pre-launch activities to support commercial, medical and clinical programs. Likewise, digital marketing teams are working more closely with brand teams to support and inform new product launches.
Best Practices, LLC undertook this study to provide insights into how savvy biopharma digital marketers are enhancing the medical and commercial potential of new products, through both pre-launch and launch support activities. The study also looks at what skills and traits are important for the digital marketing role.
I. Digitizing Launch:
- Top Commercial Support Activities
- Top Clinical & Medical Support Areas
- Aligning with NPP & Launch Teams
II. Talent Development:
- Key Traits for New Hires
- Developing & Aligning Talent
- Impact of Digital Support on Pre-Launch Commercial Programs for New Products
- Impact of Digital Support on Clinical and Medical Focused Pre-Launch Product Development Programs
- Effective Activities for Improving Alignment between Digital Marketing Team and the Launch and Brand Teams
- Important Skills and Characteristics for Hiring New Digital Marketers
- Effective Tactics for Developing Digital Talent
- Deployment Structure of Digital Talent and Expertise at Participating Companies
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
- Interpersonal skills more important for new digital marketers than tech, healthcare or digital innovation background: “Interpersonal skills” were deemed most important for hiring new digital marketers (per 69% of companies), followed by “analytics skills” (62%). Both of these traits are critical for allowing new talent to build relationships, identify opportunities and articulate a digital path for healthcare organizations. “Healthcare experience” was seen as slightly more valuable than “innovative digital experience outside of healthcare.”
Best Practices, LLC engaged 31 digital marketing leaders at 24 leading healthcare companies through a benchmarking survey instrument. Nearly 70% of participants serve at the level of director or above.