If this box remains here for more than 30 seconds, click this link to try again.
Products & Services »
Best Practice Database
Medical Affairs » Launch Optimization
Download FREE Excerpt
14 Info Graphics
16 Data Graphics
Single User: Authorizes use by the person who places the order or for whom the order was placed.
Sitewide: Authorizes use of the report for a geographic site. All people at site can view the report for a year and copies can be printed.
Corporate: Authorizes use for the entire company for a year and copies can be printed. No limitations for usage inside the company.
A rapidly changing marketplace coupled with a highly regulated promotional environment have pushed the medical affairs function beyond its traditional support role into a more prominent launch role that extends from the pre-launch phase to well beyond market entry.
Therefore, a successful launch of a new medical device requires deep involvement of medical affairs. In essence, medical affairs launch strategy should focus on early stage thought leader identification and engagement, clear guidance for commercial strategies and launch resources management.
Best Practices, LLC conducted a benchmarking study to highlight the critical success factors for a strong medical affairs launch support, as well as to highlight strategies for thought leader targeting and communication. This study will serve as a reference point for medical device companies in developing successful medical affairs launch strategies.
• Medical Affair’s Role in Launch Activities
• Thought Leader Tiering
• Thought Leader Targeting and MSL Coverage
• Launch Investment
• Medical Affairs Investment Allocation
· Total Number of Thought Leaders Targeted and MSLs Employed for a Product during Pre-launch and Post-launch Period
· Number of Thought Leaders Targeted per MSL Employed
· Total Launch Investment for the Product during Pre-launch and Post-launch Period
· Total Number of FTEs Allocated for the Product during Pre-launch and Post-launch Period
· Total Medical Affairs Launch Investment per Product Supported During Pre-launch and Post-launch Phase
· Medical Affairs Launch Investment Allocated to Listed Medical Affairs Activities During Each Time Period
· Medical Affairs Launch FTEs Allocated to Listed Medical Affairs Activities During Each Time Period
SAMPLE KEY FINDINGS
1. Medical Affairs’ Role in Launch Activities: Medical Affairs is heavily involved in five launch activities within participating organizations: Scientific Publications, MSL Activities, Advisory Boards, Thought Leader identification and development and Speaker Training. More than 60 percent of medical device companies are involved in these top 5 activities.
2. Thought Leader Tiering: More than 75 percent of the benchmark class use five criteria while segmenting their TLs in the pre-launch stage: Regional Diversity, Therapeutic Area, Product Types, TLs’ Experience, & TLs’ Expertise.
Best Practices, LLC engaged 14 Medical Affairs leaders at 13 medical device companies through a benchmarking survey. More than 70% of the participants are at the level of VP/CEO/Director and around a quarter of participants are managers.