Non-members: Click here to sign-up for a complimentary tour of
"Federal and State Government Relations: Staffing and budget"
Companies that are regulated by federal or state government entities promote their organization's agendas through their government relations functions. These functions include processes that support, shape and impact legislative and regulatory management with their respective government entities. At the Federal level, this includes the U.S. Congress and Executive branch, national regulatory departments such as the Treasury, Dept. of Education, Dept. of Labor and the Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as trade associations and political action committees. At the state level, this includes state legislators and regulatory bodies in all states where the organization has a business presence.
To ensure the effectiveness of such government relations departments, companies must continually identify optimal staffing and budget resource levels for their operations relative to their peers. Executives of government relations functions can use this 39-slide presentation to examine what other companies are allocating relative to factors such sales and total employees, perform a gap analysis, and make adjustments accordingly.
Key Topic and Metric Areas:
This study provides budget and staffing benchmark data for Government Relations functions and activities, including the following:
- U.S. Sales Revenues of Benchmark Class (US$)
- Total Employees (FTE’s)
- Budget for Government Relations Operations (US$)
- Total FTEs for Government Relations Operations
- Total Employees Per Government Relations FTE
- Corporate Communications Budget as a Percentage of Sales Revenues (%)
- Budget Allocated per Government Relations FTE ($US)
- Sales Revenues per Government Relations FTE ($US)
- Government Relations Budget as a Percentage of Organizational Sales Revenues (%)
- Staffing Levels Linked to Total Employees
- Staffing Levels Linked to Budget Allocation
- Staffing Levels Linked to Sales Revenues
- Budget in Relation to Sales Revenues
- Management of PAC Activities
Sample: Study Slide
Study customization available for an additional fee. For more information contact us at (919) 403-0251 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This research originated from a Best Practices, LLC research and consulting project. It was conducted for a client and was based on surveys with executives and senior managers across industries. Pharma and life sciences companies dominated the benchmark class, followed by financial services companies.
About Best Practices, LLC
Best Practices, LLC is a research and consulting firm that works on the principle that organizations can chart a course to superior economic performance by studying the best business practices, operating tactics and winning strategies of world-class organizations. Our suite of customized Research and Consulting services is designed to assist you in improving your company's performance by analyzing the winning practices of leading corporations.