Non-members: Click here to review a complimentary excerpt from "Government Affairs & Public Policy Excellence: Optimizing Group Staffing and Operations"
The Government Affairs and Public Policy functions play a vital and growing role in the biopharma sector given the increasing importance that reimbursement, regulatory and political issues play in an organization's overall success in the marketplace. Thus, it is essential for these groups to have resourcing and funding levels that enable effective and efficient operations. Likewise, effective Government Affairs and Public Policy groups have clearly established service levels, priorities, and responsibilities.
Best Practices, LLC undertook this study to identify the benchmarks of leading companies regarding the staffing, budgeting, service levels, and responsibilities of their Government Affairs and Public Policy groups.
- Government Affairs & Policy Groups Staffing Benchmarks: Key Trends in Resourcing Government Affairs Groups
- Government Affairs & Policy Funding Levels & Sources: Examining the Resources Invested for Success
- Government Affairs & Policy Group Services: Trends in Service Levels & Key Priorities
- Government Affairs & Policy Responsibilities: Trends in Forging Accountability & Clear Roles
- Communicating the Value of Government Affairs & Policy in a Global Bio-Pharma Company
SAMPLE KEY METRICS
- Number of Employees within Government Affairs and Policy
- Percentage of Outsourced U.S. Government Affairs and Policy Employees
- Mix of Federal, State and Public Policy Employees within Government Affairs
- Total Worldwide Government Affairs and Policy Budget
- Percentage of Budget Allocated to Outsourced Activities
- Source(s) of Government Affairs & Policy Funding
- Does Government Affairs and Policy Group Differentiate Service Levels?
- Rank Factors used to Prioritize Services/Activities for Internal Customers
- Importance Rating of key GA & Policy Activities and Support Services
- Frequency of Interactions with Other Corporate Affairs Peer Groups
- Effectiveness of Various Approaches to Build Bridges Among Internal Team Members
- External Relationships Owned by GA and Policy
- Effectiveness of Approaches for Knowledge Exchange among GA Colleagues
- Have you Designated Clear Roles/Responsibilities Among Various Internal/External Partners?
SAMPLE KEY FINDING
- Federal, State & Policy Outsourcing Under Way in U.S. Market: Outsourcing is a staffing tactic for Federal and State Government Affairs and also for Policy. Many still employ these specialists as full time employees. However, the use of outsourcing is clearly evident. The average staffing mix (in-sourcing-to-outsourcing) for all these positions is around 74% in-sourced and 26% outsourced.
Participants ranging from middle level management to senior executives at 15 leading bio-pharmaceutical, healthcare and medical device companies participated in the study. Field interviews and study analysis produced many observations and benchmark findings to reflect opportunities across the Public policy and Government Affairs function for organization growth and profitability.