If this box remains here for more than 30 seconds, click this link to try again.
Products & Services »
Download FREE Excerpt
17 Info Graphics
21 Data Graphics
Single User: Authorizes use by the person who places the order or for whom the order was placed.
Sitewide: Authorizes use of the report for a geographic site. All people at site can view the report for a year and copies can be printed.
Corporate: Authorizes use for the entire company for a year and copies can be printed. No limitations for usage inside the company.
Biotech; Pharmaceutical; Chemical; Manufacturing; Health Care; Diagnostic; Medical Device
Amgen; Sanofi-aventis; Eli Lilly; AstraZeneca; Solvay America; Schering-Plough; Biogen; Janssen; Abbott; Roche; Merck; GlaxoSmithKline
1. Improve hiring, training and development to ensure that the right people are doing the right jobs. Interviewed executives at benchmark companies all accent the importance of putting the right people in the right positions. At the majority of the benchmark companies (73%), the head of medical affairs department reports directly into the head of country, regional or global pharmaceutical business. The other 27% report either into the head of research and development or to the head of commercial operations.
2. Evaluate appropriate levels of outsourcing, staffing and spending to ensure the quality and timely delivery of medical affairs objectives and action plans. All benchmark companies currently outsource, at varying degrees, part of their medical affairs activities and capabilities. For example, some of the companies outsource 70% to 90% of their medical operations, while others only outsource 10% to 20%. Which areas to outsource, when to outsource and to whom to outsource are the key issues that medical affairs executives and managers frequently examine in the context of their changing business goals and strategies, existing functional skills and competencies, potential cost-efficiencies and strategic risks.